Designing an e-learning course requires both, expertise and resourcefulness. A good e-learning content is judged based on the quality of content, interactivity, and ability to be understood. Therefore, it becomes necessary to give immense relevance to the development and designing of your e-learning content. Audience engagement is another priority while designing and writing content. An e-learning course that does not motivate or engage learners to participate is of no use, even when it offers the right mix of pedagogy and subject experts.
That is not all. There are many other factors, which are key to a good e-learning course. What are the main features of a quality e-learning course?
1. More than ‘just knowledge’‘Just knowledge’ is secondary to ‘effective knowledge’. An online course should not be as plain as a book, which only has knowledge. But an e-learning course should contain more than knowledge. This is why one joins an e-learning course. A book will not tell itself what it contains, an online course is constructed such that it teaches in addition to just informing. An online course is designed to deliver a topic or subject matter using multiple illustrations with a single motive to be understood.
2. Audience Research: It isn’t necessarily what you give is what learners need. Therefore, a thorough study of your audience becomes important to understand their requirements. To know the expectations of people looking for an online course, take their feedback through interviews, surveys and focus groups.
3. Target emotions: A content that has potential to trigger emotions ripe great results. When you target emotions of your audience they are forced to relate their-selves and encouraged to learn more. This also helps them observe and retain information more and better. Take video content or images; they enhance interactive nature of e-learning course. Design a course to include instances from real life stories or experiences to pull audience attention.
4. Interactivity: It is the most important aspect of an e-learning course. It can be enhanced by adding reality-based instances to an online learning content. The course should be more than theoretical aspects of a subject matter. It should tell learners how a particular knowledge is applicable in real life. This can be achieved by using different kinds of illustration for greater impact and understanding.
5. Use of graphics and media- An e-learning content is ineffective and incomplete without graphics and media files such as videos and audios. There is a possibility that learners may lose interest in the learning content at some point of time during their course. So to avoid this situation, that content should be engaging and friendly. Today, more effective medium to grab the attention of the masses is through video and audio content. Use of video content may also lead to better understanding.